Monday, December 10, 2007

Cultural Anthropology

Last Wednesday, I was lecturing about gender in my cultural anthropology class and, in an effort to remind students that gender norms and roles vary temporally, as well as spatially, I quickly surveyed the classroom and noted "For instance, there are no women wearing skirts in class today; that would not have been the case 30 years ago." Then on Friday, two of my favorite students showed up in the attire below. "Wow, nice--what's the occasion?," I asked. To which they replied, beaming from their classic back row perch, "We thought it was important to stand up for skirts in the classroom!" Of course, I then had to memorialize the event and asked if I could take a photo for my blog. I borrowed a student's camera (not the best quality--but sweet that she loaned it!) and made them move to the front row, where they quite happily posed for a photo. These are my kind of students--they listen, learn, and act.

1 comment:

participant-observer said...

My kind of student is the one in the second row... asleep at the wheel.