Thursday, August 21, 2008

Safe, Sound and Tired in DC

I'm going to post this now, before poor TH rolls in and I can no longer feel sorry for myself. BUT, after two long flights (and dragging myself out of bed at 6 am), I'm here. The first flight was okay (except one toilet was broken and lots of people were mighty tanked up on coffee at the top of the morning!), then we had a delay in Dallas because American Airlines had to replace a pilot (this was accomplished in about 50 minutes), then we were herded onto the plane where yours truly had the dreaded middle seat (sigh), then we waited some more. And some more. And some more. "Maintenance issues." Finally we took off. It was a fairly decent flight. Great cab driver here in DC. Plus, the hotel is wonderful (truly wonderful--lovely, old, stately and very spacious rooms for DC). It is just a blocks from the Nat'l Archives. This is the view from our room.

Nice, huh? Here's another.

Now to poor TH. He was flying up to DFW from Houston where he'd been visiting his Dad. He went to a lot of trouble to arrange for us to have the same flight on the DFW-DC leg of the journey, but this was not to be. Bad storms in Houston and just one thing after another. In short, he is still not here. Well, I have to strike that. A text message just came in; they've finally landed (10:48). So, it's room service tonight, versus a big dinner on the town, but that's okay--he's finally here.
ETA: Flying all day gives one lots of dedicated reading time, so I was able to finish Beyond Red Power. I highly recommend it.

No comments: